Leaving Certificate Programmes
Three Leaving Certificate programmes are offered in Pobalscoil Iosolde:
- Leaving Certificate Established
- Leaving Certificate Vocational Programme
- Leaving Certificate Applied Programme
Pupils receive advice as to which programme they might derive most benefit from, based on their performance in the school to date (based on their performance in the Junior Certificate and in Transition Year, if applicable).
Leaving Certificate Etablished
The Leaving Certificate examination is held at the end of the Senior Cycle in post-
Leaving Certificate Vocational Programme
The Leaving Certificate Vocational Programme (LCVP) is the normal Leaving Certificate Programme with a concentration on technical subjects and some additions. It was first introduced in 1989. In 1994, it was expanded to broaden the choice of subjects and to strengthen the vocational content of the programme by including two link modules on Enterprise Education and Preparation for the World of Work.
The LCVP combines the academic strengths of the Leaving Certificate Established with a new and dynamic focus on self-
Pupils taking the LCVP take five Leaving Certificate subjects, including two subjects to be chosen from a set of vocational subjects, a recognised course in a modern European language and two compulsory Link Modules. Pupils also receive instruction in Religion and Career Guidance.
|Established Leaving Certificate Programme||Leaving Certificate Vocaltional Programme|
|3 Optional examination subjects||2 Specialist subjects
1 Optional subject
|Religious Instruction||Religious Instruction|
- All examination subjects may be taken at Higher, Ordinary, or where available, Foundation level.
- Programmes in examination subjects are identical and attract the same points for College.
- Optional subjects include: Accounting, Business Studies, Biology, Physics and Chemistry, Construction Studies, Technical Drawing, Engineering, Art, History, Geography, Music, Home Economics.
- Specialist subjects, are particular combinations of optional subjects.
- Students taking appropriate combinations will be entered for LCVP
- Link modules include Enterprise studies, Preparation for work and Work experience.
- Link modules are examined by project work and written examinations.
- Link modules provide an additional opportunity for earning points for entry to Institutes of Technology
Leaving Certificate Applied
The Leaving Certificate Applied is a self-
Courses offered are Vocational Preparation, which focuses on preparation for work, work experience and enterprise and communications, General Education which gives students general life skills, including the arts, social education, leisure and languages and Vocational Education which is concerned with the development of mathematical and information technology and the practical skills necessary for specialist areas such as tourism, business, horticulture, engineering and technology.
The Leaving Certificate Applied is intended to meet the needs of those students who either choose not to opt for other Leaving Certificate programmes or who are not adequately catered for by other Leaving Certificate programmes. While certification in the Leaving Certificate Applied will not be a qualification for direct entry to third level courses, students who successfully complete the programme will be able to proceed to many Post Leaving Certificate courses.